Thursday, July 29, 2010

Recipe 12:HOMEMADE OREOS (dessert)

SOURCE: I first had these last year at Book Club.  They were brought by Marci, the woman in charge of snack that month.  She called these Homemade Oreo cookies and the recipe was in our church cookbook. They are SINFUL. DECADENT. WONDERFUL.   TO DIE FOR. I only ate one, but I had the devilish urge to confiscate the entire platter of them on my way out the door that night. You WILL want to eat these with a tall, ice cold glass of milk. And when I say milk, I mean 2% or better. Skim just wont cut through these babies! 
Also, these really are a 1 at a time cookie. Billy, dont be a hero and try and eat a couple in one sitting. You will go into sugar shock!
You will also need a heavy duty mixer, as these make a very large batch and the dough is very thick and stiff.


HOMEMADE OREOS:

2 Boxes Devils Food cake Mix
4 eggs
1 cup shortening.

Mix together in your mixer until well blended.  Roll small, but equal balls of the dough with your hands and place on cookie sheets.  remember that you will be matching a top with a bottom.
Bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes and let cool.

FROSTING:
16 oz cream cheese
2 cups(or so) of powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together until a thick frosting is formed. 
Frost cookies and put together to form your "Oreo"

This makes a BIG batch.

1 comment:

  1. I made some of these today and I LOVE them!! I was wondering if I could use your picture to post the recipe on my blog. My recipe is a little different and I mix peanut butter into my frosting, but your picture is so darling I would love to use it. Let me know. I would link back to your site. Freezerdinner.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Make Me Smile!